The ACJ-Bloomberg Programme on Business and Financial Journalism
(with support from Mint and Business Line)
This programme on Business and Financial Journalism is an industry-defining standard for training aspiring and career journalists to excel in an expanding niche discipline in the media space. To that end, it brings together the Asian College of Journalism, Asia’s leading post-graduate journalism school, Bloomberg, the industry leader in the provision of economic and financial data, news and analysis, Mint and The Hindu Business Line, leading brands in financial journalism, and some of the best newspaper editors, columnists, economists, and financial analysts.
The aim of the ACJ-Bloomberg programme is to foster a generation of newspersons, trained and educated to use the tools of an integrated newsroom and the information and analysis available through the highly-acclaimed Bloomberg terminal, to deliver high-quality journalism for the print, television, radio, and digital new media by combining text, image, video, audio, and the interactive potential of the Internet.
While educating and training students to deliver business, economic, and financial news and analysis the ACJ-Bloomberg way, the programme will help them:
- Familiarise themselves with the Bloomberg terminal and its potential.
- Learn to source, collate, visualise, and analyse economic and financial data and information.
- Hone their reporting, writing, and editing skills.
- Understand the concepts and theories that help analyse the economic environment in which business and finance function.
- Assess corporate and business performance.
- Make sense of financial markets, institutions, instruments and their impact on economic development and personal wealth generation.
The main pillars of the programme are focused on developing basic reporting, analytical, and multimedia presentation skills needed for today’s media space, exposing students to the principles of data sourcing and analysis, training in the fundamentals of economics and finance, and the translation of information and analysis into material suited to the news media.